Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Frigid New England

For about 10 days now we have had frigid temperatures here in New England. I can't remember ever having been this cold! (But then again I'm getting older and feeling the cold more, but the cats are still fairly young at only  years old, and both of them have been avoiding their litter boxes down in the basement!) I usually like to go out and do a little after Christmas shopping, but this year I have no desire to leave the warm house and jump in an ice cold car, never mind walk through an Arctic-cold parking lot then go into a steaming hot store!

Therefore, I've been staying indoors and getting some reading and writing done. A new novel idea had been perking in my brain (while I continue to ignore my NaNo werewolf novel- still not ready to tackle that with a major overhaul yet!) So I began writing the new novel three days ago and hit over 16,000 words last night, but now I need to pause and go back to jot down some notes as it alternates between the late 1800's and present day. I haven't exactly pinpointed the time frame of the 1800's events so I also need to do some math and figure that out also.

Meanwhile, I completed a beta read for an author friend, started a eta read of Kelly's NaNo novel, the sequel to Parapsychology, devoured The Victorian Book of the Dead  selected and edited by Chris Woodyard (research for my novel), and began reading The Butchering Art by Lindsey Fitzharris after seeing a review of the book in a magazine being discarded where I work. Fascinating book, but not for the squeamish. It deals with surgery in the 1700s and 1800s...Robert Liston, Joseph Lister and other notables of that era who pioneered surgical techniques.

Also posted an Amazon review of Melissa Volker's new book Where We Go which I absolutely loved!

We'll see highs in the low twenties for the next two days and then back to dangerous single digits by the weekend.

Brrrr! Spring is a long time away! So, I'll just keep myself busy indoors with various writing projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment