Saturday, April 29, 2017

Ghost Story from a Friend

This afternoon Kelly's friend from the Trolley Museum, Mike Brenner, who has moved back to Minnesota, emailed me a copy of his newly written ghost story- The Final Ride. He has been dropping us story ideas on facebook for awhile now, lots and lots of them-and they've all been great ideas we hope to develop in the near future. However,  I recently suggested that he really should be writing his own stories now that he's retired- it would be a terrific hobby to add to everything else he does from babysitting his grandchildren to singing in a choir.

I was surprised when I sat down after dinner to read the story he'd sent. It is a tale woven through with interesting trolley era facts. It has an interesting plot that gets more interesting fairly quickly. There is humor and pathos in the story, it tugs the heartstrings and gives them a twang before delving deeper into the mysterious happenings at the trolley museum the previous night.

And then it transforms into a true ghost story that gave me goose bumps!

Finally, at the end, I was in tears.(Kelly will vouch for that!)

Now, that is a demonstration of powerful writing to be able to drag the reader through so many emotions in a crisp, well-written 5608 word story!

P.S. There are dogs AND cats in this story (for Shawn Flynn, and my cat lover author friends, and their dog lovers friends who seemed miffed that he only mentioned cats in his posts- he satisfied dog and cat lovers alike in this story!) I may ask his permission to publish it here on my blog- see what he says!

No comments:

Post a Comment