Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Thankful For...

I am thankful to have been born in this country. My maternal grandfather was born here in 1905. My Mom in 1930. Me in 1958. My Italian relatives immigrated here in the late 1800's. On my father's side my Dad was a first generation American born to Polish immigrant farmers who came here in 1886 and 1889. This country gave them opportunities, but they had to work for them. My father had to learn English before he was allowed to go to school (he was sent home from first grade because he couldn't speak English. The following year he started school and could speak English. It's all about wanting something bad enough and working at it.

I'm thankful I have that inborn initiative within me.

I'm thankful for my older sister and younger brother, the only remaining members of my immediate family. Our parents are gone. Our grandparents are gone. We have one living Uncle in Florida. All we have for family is one another.

I'm thankful for my husband who doesn't understand anything about my ability to write, but tolerates the long hours I'm at the keyboard creating whole new worlds populated by interesting people. He never complains.

I'm thankful for the amazing, intelligent, imaginative, creative, interesting daughter we have been blessed with. She's made my life anything but dull. I'm thankful she's a good kid with a good head on her shoulders and who has avoided all the pitfalls many of her peers have fallen into. She's navigated her own path in this world and I'm so proud of her!

I'm thankful to have a roof over my head, food on my table, clothes in my closet, and everything I need to be comfortable and secure. I'm thankful my husband had 32 years of profitable employment before his big business company eliminated his and many other American worker's jobs to save themselves a few bucks. He still hasn't found a new job yet seven months later, but we're doing all right.

I'm thankful for my job because it gives me an opportunity to help people. I'm thankful for all the friends I've made through the nine and a half years I've been there. They make me laugh, have let me cry on their shoulders, have cheered my successes and commiserated with me on my failures. They've been supportive and critical and I love them all dearly.

I'm thankful for this talent I have, this ability to tell a story in written words. My maternal grandfather was an awesome oral story teller. I grew up listening to his stories about the locals- he was so funny!

I am thankful for the Spiit that watches over me and guides me through every day.

I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment