Sunday, January 31, 2016

A Sad Day

This has been a long, difficult day. My husband's mother passed away this evening. She'd been on hospice since coming home from the hospital earlier in January, so while it was not unexpected, it was still not an easy day. (I lost my own mother in October 2000, and a dear friend who was like a surrogate mother to me in September 2014, and now another mother, who has been my mother-in-law for nearly 32 years) I do not like the terminology hospice uses- actively dying. I don't know how it could be better phrased though- Seeking peace after a long decline? Preparing for the end of life? Separating from the mortal vessel?

I don't think there is a comforting euphemism for the process of dying.

It annoys me that I know so many beautiful words but I cannot make any of those words describe the passing of a loved one in a less harsh and stinging manner.


No comments:

Post a Comment