Saturday, December 19, 2015

Holiday Movies

While struggling through a rheumatoid arthritis flare-up I am pretty much laid up, so today, while a few snow flurries fell outside the window, I cuddled up under a flannel blanket and watched some movies. The afternoon started with The Pilgrims, a PBS presentation on DVD. It was pretty good at presenting how bleak it was for the pilgrims arriving in November, having to build shelters, more than half of them dying through a dismal winter with little food. It definitely wasn't the Hallmark, grade school history version. They used the replica Plimouth Plantation and Mayflower for this. It was well done. Then John came out and we watched the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol and ate dinner during this movie on TV. He made a nice chicken stew. It was cold and windy still so that hit the spot. Tonight we watched Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby in White Christmas. We'll watch Holiday Inn another time when Kelly is home. Today she worked in the trolley restoration barn and then this evening she's been running the trolleys at the museum for Winter Fest. She'll come home half frozen if she's been operating the open air cars!! I feel a little less stiff and sore after a day of resting, but I am definitely not the kind of person who can lounge around and do nothing all day. I feel frustrated and like I failed to accomplish something.

My brother and sister are coming tomorrow to exchange gifts. My big sister celebrates her birthday December 23rd. If I can move easier tomorrow I may bake something- not sure what- maybe bar chocolate chip cookies to share with them.

It doesn't look like a New England Christmas outside but watching Christmas movies helped put me in a better mood about the rapidly approaching holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment